- Yvette Andersen - St. Mary, Waverly
- Lugene Berning - Church of the Resurrection, Dubuque
- Audrey Cory - Community of Disciples Cluster, Eldora/Iowa Falls
- Jason Feeney - St. Patrick, Cedar Falls
- Judith Henningsen - St. Joseph, Preston
- Rosann Hurt - St. Patrick, Anamosa
- John Lazum - Waterloo Catholic Faith Formation, Waterloo
- Brian McGee - St. Jude, Cedar Rapids
- Megan Moore - St. Mary, Waverly
- Julie Niemeyer - Waterloo Catholic Faith Formation, Waterloo
- Wendy Osterberger - Church of the Resurrection, Dubuque
- Katie Patrizio - St. Cecilia, Ames
- Kathryn Paul - Sacred Heart, Oelwein
- Kelleryn Rauzi - Waterloo Catholic Faith Formation, Waterloo
- Janice Shultz - St. Mary, Greene
- Peg Stowell - SS Peter & Paul, Gilbert
- Amy Woods - North Linn Catholic Cluster, Coggon
Gratitude and Best Wishes to the Following FFLs Leaving Their Positions
- Pam Klima - North Linn Catholic Cluster, Coggon
Deanery FFL Meetings for August
- Aug 3: Marshalltown DIODYM, St. Patrick, Tama, 10:00 AM
- Aug 4: CRAYM, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Hiawatha, 4:00 PM
- Aug 18: Decorah DIOCORE, St. Benedict, Decorah, 1:00 PM
- Aug 18: MC-NH DIOCORE, Visitation, Stacyville, 11:30 AM
- Aug 12: Webster City DIOCORE, St. Patrick, Hampton, 10:00 AM
- Aug 11: Cedar Rapids DIOCORE, BMAP, Waterloo, During lunch at FFL Day
- Aug 13: Dubuque DIOCORE, St. Columbkille, Dubuque, 9:00 AM
- Aug 6: Independence DIOCORE, Coffee Den, Manchester, 1:00 PM
- Aug 19: Independence DIOCORE Inservice, St. Mary Parish Center, Manchester, 6:30 PM
- Aug 26: Dyersville DIOCORE Inservice, St. John, Peosta, 6:30 PM
- Aug 20: Dyersville DIOCORE, New Melleray Abbey, Peosta, 9:30 AM
- Aug 13: Waterloo DIOCORE, St. Francis, Barclay, 10:00 AM
- Aug 25: DAYM, Location TBA, Dubuque, 10:00 AM
- TBA: Dubuque AFF, Location and Time TBA, Dubuque
- TBA: WAYM, Please contact local leadership for further information.
Catechetical Sunday Ad in WitnessWe would like to acknowledge all of our Faith Formation Leaders in the Witness on Sunday, September 20, 2015. We are using our database of those FFLs who have a contract or some other work agreement on file at the Archdiocesan Office, to create that list and to verify years of service. Please make sure that we have your paperwork so you will be included in this important acknowledgement. Thank you.
August 11 FFL/CSA Gathering Day!August 11, 2015 is the FFL and Catholic School Administrator (CSA) Day with Dr. Pat McCormack, IHM, speaking on “Parking Lot Evangelization”. The day will include the celebration of the Eucharist, with Archbishop Jackels presiding, and lunch. We will gather at 8:15 AM and begin at 8:45 AM at Blessed Maria Assunta Pallotta Middle School, 3225 West Ninth Street, Waterloo. Cost is $40.00 per person. The registration information can be found at https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/professional-development-resources/.
New Faith Formation Leader Day
- Wednesday, August 26, 2015
- Archdiocesan Pastoral Center, Dubuque
- Raphael Room
- 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
This date is especially designed for all new Faith Formation Leaders and we look forward to meeting you in person on that day. Others who would like a “refresher” course are also invited to attend. The day will include time to pray, learn, ask questions, share ideas, visit the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center and the Education Resource Center, as well as connect with other new Faith Formation Leaders in the Archdiocese. The day will include Mass with Archbishop Jackels. Please bring any questions or concerns you may have to this gathering. Cost: $35.00 (includes lunch and materials). A flyer with details can be found by clicking here.
Mark Your CalendarFor information on the enrichment offerings for Faith Formation Leaders and Catholic School Administrators, please click here: https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/.
Witness Grant ApplicationInformation for the 2015-2016 Witness Grant was sent out through $dbqffl on May 27. If you haven’t already, please take a minute to respond with your "initial" intention for participating in The Witness Grant for 2015/16 as soon as possible. We ask all faith formation programs and Catholic schools to opt-in or opt-out of this great opportunity for your parishes and schools. This allows us to contact those sites we have not heard from so everyone has an opportunity to participate if they so desire. This request takes about two minutes, the link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Witness-1516. Thanks for responding to this form, it greatly helps in budgeting and planning. Please share this memo and your response at the next faith formation commission meeting/Catholic school board meeting. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Sanders at (563) 556-2580, ext. 267.
Items from the August Executive Calendar
- Attend the Archdiocesan sponsored Faith Formation Leader/Catholic School Administrator Day on August 11 at Blessed Maria Assunta Palotta Middle School in Waterloo. Click here to find more information.
- Attend Archdiocesan Orientation Day for New and Nearly new FFLs (if applicable). A flyer with details can be found by clicking here.
- Verify with Julie Sanders (email@example.com) contact information for yourself and your Faith Formation Commission Chair
- Reevaluate goals for the coming year
- Review calendar for all Faith Formation programs and budget with the Pastor, other staff, and the Faith Formation Commission
- Work with Pastor and Faith Formation Commission to ensure that all programs are offered as a “service to parents, who are the first catechists of their children in the ways of faith”
- Compile school calendars to form a list of concerns and major sporting events (rivalries) in which parish teens will be taking part. Arrange your calendar so you can have a presence at these events. Invite your catechists, your pastor, and other volunteers to be present as well.
- Continue registration process for any programs you are holding during they year—if it is not yet time to register for some of them, plan out that process
- Continue recruitment of catechists, substitute catechists, small group leaders
- Review class groupings and room assignments
- Plan Catechetical Sunday observance
- Collect the covenant/acknowledgment forms from catechists and volunteers—these can be found at FirstClass>Conferences>AFFC & ACSB>2015-16 Contracts and Employee Materials
- Review Catechist/Volunteer Files for all required materials, including VIRTUS Certificates, Acknowledgment Forms, and Background Checks
- Plan local orientation/Catechist Formation & Endorsement for returning and for new catechists (see AFFC policy 2123.1)
- Distribute and explain Handbooks and other information to help catechists and other volunteers in their roles
- Check on book orders and supplies
- Set advisory/support committee dates
- Finalize paperwork for NCYC
NCYC Chaperone Training Meeting Dates Are SetAll NCYC chaperones are required to attend one of these training sessions. Also, your group’s Archdiocesan T-shirts will be given out at the trainings. The dates and locations of the trainings can be found at the NCYC group leader site at www.dbqarch.org/ncyc (click on the group leaders' link at the bottom).
Discussion Topics for Every Faith Formation Leader and His/Her Pastor
- What are our goals/priorities for the coming year?
- How can we best reach the parents of those under 18 in our parish/cluster/system?
- How is Faith Formation fitting into the whole parish structure?
University of Dayton VLCFF UpdateCycle 6 begins September 6; registration begins on July 22. Once again all FFLs and CSAs will receive a voucher for one free course. Start your year off with wonderful formation and personal enrichment. Contact Julie Sanders for assistance with registration at firstname.lastname@example.org. For a complete list of courses offered during Cycle 6, go to: https://vlcff.udayton.edu/calendar
School Systems LLC® Information
There are always many questions regarding online registration for RE sessions. The Archdiocese has developed some guidelines for this. Steve Dickes of School Systems LLC® has reviewed these guidelines and is in compliance with them. He is currently working with parishes in the Archdiocese and provides the following information:
- The Faith Formation Registration System by School Systems allows parents to register their children for RE classes on-line.
- This system eliminates paper forms, including the Archdiocesan Consent and Liability Waiver form.
- The administrator can assign students to catechists and get class rosters directly from the online system.
- Various reports are available for the administrator all created without ever having to key in data.
Family Matters: Mission of Love Archdiocesan Adult Conference on the Family
Mark Your Calendars for the Adult Conference on the Family: Family Matters, Mission of Love. The conference is on Saturday, November 7, 2015, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at the Five Sullivan Brothers Center, Waterloo. This will be a day you won’t want to miss!
In the year of the World Synod on the Family, our Archdiocese is eager to take the message of the importance and beauty of the family to our families and parishes. This day has been designed to emphasize the Christian mission of the family–in all its forms and stages. Click here for more information on the conference.
Webinars for Catechists from Loyola Press: Getting Started as a Catechist Webinars (Archived)
Loyola Press has made available recorded webinars that can help catechists, especially new catechists, as they begin their ministry. Please have those who are beginning their ministry as catechists view the recorded webinars from Joe Paprocki. D.Min., who is National Consultant for Faith Formation at Loyola Press in Chicago. He has over 30 years of experience in ministry in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Joe is the author of numerous books on pastoral ministry and catechesis, including the best-selling The Catechist’s Toolbox and A Well-Built Faith, and Under the Influence of Jesus. Joe, earned his master’s degree in pastoral studies from Loyola University’s Institute of Pastoral Studies and received his doctor of ministry degree from the University of St. Mary of the Lake, Mundelein, IL. Paprocki’s blog post, entitled Getting Started as a Catechist, lists the following 4 sixty-minute recorded Webinars that you can use to meet your needs:
Go to: http://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2014/07/getting-started-as-a-catechist-webinars-archived/
The webinars include:
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Primary Age Children
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Intermediate Age Children
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Junior High and High School Students
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Adults
Catechetical SundayThis year, the Church will celebrate Catechetical Sunday on September 20, 2015, and will focus on the theme "Safeguarding the Dignity of Every Human Person."
Click here for Catechetical Sunday resources.
FFL/CSA Book Club 2015-2016The Church of Mercy: A Vision for the Church by Pope Francis
In the year since he was elected, Pope Francis’s simple message of mercy, service, and renewal has spread to every corner of the world. Through his gentle demeanor, selfless actions, and welcoming call for service to others, Pope Francis has captured the attention of a world longing for an authentic message of hope—we want to hear what he has to say. Click here to continue reading.
From Mary Pedersen, Director of Adult Faith Formation
- Archdiocesan Adult Conference: Family Matters: Mission of Love Please encourage families in your parish/school to attend the Archdiocesan Adult Conference: Family Matters: Mission of Love (please provide childcare). Also, have students write an essay, poem, or create an art project on why their family matters. Have students draw up a mission statement on the family.
- IMPACT! The cohort is filling up and we’re excited! This is a perfect opportunity for catechists and Catholic school teachers to grow deeper and more knowledgeable about their Catholic faith: www.dbqarch.org/impact
Teens Encounter ChristThe Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) retreat dates have been set for the 2015-2016 school year. They are:
- #560 Xavier: November 7-9, 2015
- #561 Marquette: January 30 - February 1, 2016
- #562 Beckman: March 5-7, 2016
- #563 Calmar: April 2-4, 2016
- #564 Wahlert: April 16-18, 2016
USCCB Leadership Institute WebinarsDuring the past several years, the Leadership Institute of the USCCB has offered webinars on several topics. Go to: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/how-we-teach/catechesis/leadership-institute/index.cfm. All of the webinars have been taped. During the summer when you have more time, check one of more of the webinars. The webinars are excellent formational material for you and your catechists. These topics include:
- Adolescent Catechesis
- Adult Catechesis
- Catechist as Evangelizer
- Cultural Diversity
- Diocesan Directors Formation
- Moral Life (Life in Relationship)
- New Evangelization
- Spiritual Life
- Strong Catechesis
New Website to Help Catholics be Salt and Light
WeAreSaltAndLight.org, a new website of U.S. bishops' Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development, helps Catholics respond to Jesus' call to be "salt of the earth" and "light of the world" (Mt. 5:13-16). Click here to learn more.