As we begin the 2015-2016 year, we would like to welcome you to the InFo! This is our monthly means of communication from our offices. Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions regarding this newsletter. Enjoy July!
Gratitude And Best Wishes To The Following FFLs Who Are Leaving Their Positions…
- Sherilyn Backer -St. Mary, Greene
- Irene Entsminger - St. Joseph, Preston
- Julie Fossum - Immaculate Conception/St. Ann-St. Joseph, Wexford/Harpers Ferry
- Melissa Holthaus - Heart of Mary Cluster, Urbana/Walker/Vinton
- Nancy Kastli - Sacred Heart, Oelwein
- Molly Larkin - St. Patrick, Cedar Rapids
- Betty Pins - St. Clement, Bankston
- Sara Rooney - Ss. Peter & Paul, Gilbert
- Marybeth Wagner - St. John the Baptist, Peosta
- Kathy Wenthold - St. Joseph the Worker Cluster, Clermont/Fayette/Sumner/West Union
VLCFF of Dayton UpdateThe following received certificates from Dayton for courses completed:
- Allyson Brawner, Waukon - Relational Ministry With Youth
- Sarah Casey, Hiawatha - Introduction to Scripture
- Sarah Casey, Hiawatha - Faith and Human Development
- Kari Hill, Cedar Rapids - Relational Ministry With Youth
- Marcy Mueller, Dubuque - Principles for Addressing Diversity Issues in Youth Ministry
- Rob Reinhart, Marion - New Testament
- Melanie Vobr, Cresco - Introduction to Prayer
- Amanda Weaver, Marion - Survey of Catholic Doctrine
- Laura Wynohrad, Osage - Introduction to Scripture
Registration Information for the August 11 FFL/CSA Gathering Day!
August 11, 2015 is the FFL and Catholic School Administrator (CSA) Day with Dr. Pat McCormack, IHM, speaking on “Parking Lot Evangelization”. The day will include the celebration of the Eucharist, with Archbishop Jackels presiding, and lunch. We will gather at 8:15 AM and begin at 8:45 AM at Blessed Maria Assunta Pallotta Middle School, 3225 West Ninth Street, Waterloo. Cost is $40.00 per person. The registration information can be found at https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/professional-development-resources/.
Witness Grant ApplicationInformation for the 2015-2016 Witness Grant was sent out through $dbqffl on May 27. Please take a minute to respond with your "initial" intention for participating in The Witness Grant for 2015/16 as soon as possible. We ask all faith formation programs and Catholic schools to opt-in or opt-out of this great opportunity for your parishes and schools. This allows us to contact those sites we have not heard from so everyone has an opportunity to participate if they so desire. This request takes about two minutes, the link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Witness-1516. Thanks for responding to this form, it greatly helps in budgeting and planning. Please share this memo and your response at the next faith formation commission meeting/Catholic school board meeting. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Sanders at (563) 556-2580, ext. 267.
Teens Encounter ChristThe Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) retreat dates have been set for the 2015-2016 school year. They are:
- #560 Xavier: November 7-9, 2015
- #561 Marquette: January 30 - February 1, 2016
- #562 Beckman: March 5-7, 2016
- #563 Calmar: April 2-4, 2016
- #564 Wahlert: April 16-18, 2016
NCYC Archdiocesan T-shirt Challenge
We are asking for NCYC Group Leaders to invite their teens to provide input on which T-shirt design will be used for the Archdiocesan T-shirt.
You (and your teens) can view the T-shirt design ideas and vote for your favorites here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7S72PFD The survey will close on July 15th. Only one vote per person, please.
Discussion Topics for Every Faith Formation Leader and His/Her Pastor
- How are things going this year?
- How is this year measuring up based on the goals for the year?
- What are some things we want to look at for next year?
Items from the June/July Executive Calendar
- Evaluate May programming
- Write a summer newsletter to parents with ideas for prayer time and family formational ideas with a summer theme
- Direct Vacation Bible School
- Order needed texts/materials
- Organize and update files
- Update/print handbooks for catechists and guardians
- Make initial class groupings and room assignments
- Continue recruitment of catechists
- Review resources
- Attend professional development opportunities if desired
- Ensure signed contract and forms is sent to Director of Catechetical Services by May 15
- Supply information regarding the Parish Status Report (if requested)
- Ensure Confirmation Scheduling Form is sent in by the last Monday in July
- Register for Annual Archdiocesan FFL Day
- Register for the New and Nearly New FFL Day
Mark Your Calendar
For information on the enrichment offerings for Faith Formation Leaders and Catholic School Administrators, please click here: https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/.
From Mary Pedersen, Director of Adult Faith Formation
- Family Matters: Mission of Love Adult Conference Please place the logo and the following save-the-date bulletin announcement in your bulletin:
- Adult Conference Save the Date Bulletin Announcement: Mark your calendars to attend the Archdiocesan Adult Conference on the Family, Saturday, November 7, 2015, Five Sullivan Brothers Center in Waterloo. Please check our website for the great lineup of energetic speakers and insightful breakout presenters: https://www.dbqarch.org/familymatters/
- IMPACT: Still time to join IMPACT! Perfect for pastoral council members, faith formation commission members, catechists, Catholic school teachers, liturgical ministers, etc., any person who desires more in their faith and would benefit from a great understanding of the Catholic faith. Enliven your ministries by inviting your members to join IMPACT: https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/adult-faith/impact/
USCCB Leadership Institute Webinars
During the past several years, the Leadership Institute of the USCCB has offered webinars on several topics. Go to: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/how-we-teach/catechesis/leadership-institute/index.cfm. All of the webinars have been taped. During the summer when you have more time, check one of more of the webinars. The webinars are excellent formational material for you and your catechists. These topics include:
- Adolescent Catechesis
- Adult Catechesis
- Catechist as Evangelizer
- Cultural Diversity
- Diocesan Directors Formation
- Moral Life (Life in Relationship)
- New Evangelization
- Spiritual Life
- Strong Catechesis
New Website to Help Catholics be Salt and Light
WeAreSaltAndLight.org, a new website of U.S. bishops' Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development, helps Catholics respond to Jesus' call to be "salt of the earth" and "light of the world" (Mt. 5:13-16).
The website includes:
- More than 50 inspiring stories of real Catholic communities being Salt & Light
- Over 100 resources on praying, reaching out, learning and acting together
- Assessment tools to find ways to grow as faith-filled disciples at home and abroad
- A 1-minute introductory video
- Responsive design, for usability on handheld devices
This year, the Church will celebrate Catechetical Sunday on September 20, 2015, and will focus on the theme "Safeguarding the Dignity of Every Human Person." Those whom the community has designated to serve as catechists will be called forth to be commissioned for their ministry. Catechetical Sunday is a wonderful opportunity to educate your parish or cluster on the role that each person plays, by virtue of Baptism, in handing on the faith and being a witness to the Gospel. Catechetical Sunday is an opportunity for all to rededicate themselves to this mission as a community of faith. For Catechetical Sunday resources, go to: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/how-we-teach/catechesis/catechetical-sunday/human-dignity/
Also, please note that the Respect Life theme for the Archdiocese of Dubuque for 2015-16 is Respecting human life relating to beginning of life issues.
Introducing the 2015-2016 FFL/CSA Book Club BookThe Church of Mercy: A Vision for the Church by Pope Francis
The study book for the 2015/16 year will be The Church of Mercy by Pope Francis (published by Loyola Press, 2014 copyright). All faith formation leaders and Catholic school administrators will receive a copy in August. Annually a study book is selected for reflection and discussion as part of the ongoing faith-formation for leaders in faith formation programs and Catholic schools. This resource is provided through the Archbishop Kucera Educational Grant from the Archdiocesan Educational Development Fund. This year the grant will also provide a copy of the The Church of Mercy Discussion Guide as well. The guide is divided into ten parts, each with questions that focus on ideas, statements, and quotes from The Church of Mercy. These questions can help foster the sharing of ideas and stories around the themes of The Church of Mercy especially during the extraordinary Holy Year of Mercy declared by Pope Francis (Dec. 8, 2015, to Nov. 20, 2016).
Registration Materials for 2015-2016
These materials are now posted in FirstClass>Conferences>FFL Catechesis & Evangelization>Registration Forms for your convenience. Sample forms are available in both English and Spanish.
From Mindy Hart, Director of Ministry to Persons with Disabilities
You can view newsletters with resources for providing ministry with Persons with Disabilities at www.dbqarch.org/offices/persons-with-disabilities/pwd-newsletters/.
To Teach as Jesus Did
The offering, “To Teach as Jesus Did”, designed particularly for distribution to new catechists (but can be distributed to all catechists), is distributed separately through the host group $DBQFFL and is also available by going to https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/info/to-teach-as-jesus-did/.