Theme: Purple Potato Eater
This week's Peruvian purple potatoes look like gems on your plate. The coolest thing about these taters? They're high altitude
potatoes. Skymeadow Farm
is one of only a few farms that grow them in NY State. Peruvians need to grow at 1400 feet, Skymeadow is at 1500 feet on the edge of the Catskills.
Open house for new & future members of Westchester Green Business Certification at 8am 10/20 at the Business Council of Westchester’s office. Westchester business leaders who have recently joined WGB-Certified and those who are interested in learning more about membership are welcome to attend. Field Goods counts towards the certification! REGISTER HERE FOR 10/20 OPEN HOUSE BREAKFAST FOR NEW & FUTURE MEMBERS
SUPERCHARGE YOUR SCHOOL:
Make sure you tell the PTA at your school about our fundraiser program
, Carrots Not Candy.
If you think a friend would enjoy veggie delivery to their workplace, tell them to Contact Paige.
Once there are 5 people signed up, we put $100 on your account. Spread the veggie word!
FUN FACT ABOUT SUBSCRIPTIONS
You can order the ADDITIONAL SUBSCRIPTIONS on a one time only basis in our website! The extra subscriptions are listed at the bottom of the newsletter. This week is a great time to try stuff:
Fruit Subscription: Seckel Pears
Herb & Allium: Ginger
We also have lots of other goodies to buy. Get shopping. Log in to your account here
Please don't WASTE food and energy.
Tuesday delivery: Saturday
- Our veggie guarantee: If you're not loving something, let customer service know!! (This is how we reduce waste and cost.)
- Items are subject to change depending on weather and farm availability.
- Tip 1: Any item you would cook, you can also freeze.
- Tip 2: A dull knife conspires against you and slows you down. A sharp knife makes your food taste better (and look better, too). NY Times
- Tip 3: Any green needs to be as dry as possible, wrapped in a paper towel in a plastic bag and kept in the fridge crisper.
|Purple Peruvian Potatoes
WebMD.com reported this summer that a new study shows that people who ate plain purple potatoes (cooked in the microwave) twice a day for a month lowered their blood pressure by 3%-4% without gaining weight. Researchers say the blood pressure-lowering effects are likely due to the high concentration of antioxidants found naturally in potatoes. Antioxidants protect your body from molecules called “free radicals” that can damage healthy cells. However, frying process destroys the healthy substances in potatoes. Skymeadow Farm
Storage: 2-3 weeks in cool dark pantry.
Crushed Purple Potatoes
- About 2 lbs of purple potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Place potatoes on a cookie sheet. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast potatoes at 450 degrees until fork tender, about 30 – 40 minutes, depending on size. When potatoes are done, remove from oven and crush with a fork or a potato masher. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
Purple Potato Salad
Purple Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
Purple Potatoes Pizza
|Long Purple Turnips
Turnips are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. Turnips can be eating raw or cooked a number of ways: boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Common Hands
Storage: 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Scarlet Turnips & Blue Potatoes
Smashed Turnips with Horseradish
Simple Simmered Purple Top Turnips
Turnip Griddle Cakes
2 packed cups peeled, shredded turnips (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup melted butter, divided use
1 cup half-and-half (whole milk may be substituted)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Sour cream (optional)
1) Place turnips in a medium bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons butter.
2) In another large bowl, beat half-and-half with egg and salt. Stir in flour and mix just to combine. Add turnips and fold until evenly coated.
3) Heat a large, heavy frying pan or griddle. Coat bottom with enough of reserved butter to prevent sticking.
4) For each griddle cake, spread a heaping spoonful of batter on grill to form a 3-inch cake. Fry, turning once, until both sides are a deep brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm in a low oven until all batter has been used. Serve immediately with sour cream if desired. Yield: 20 to 24 3-inch cakes.
Just eat the seeds. These are too delicious to fuss around with. Tousey Vineyards
Storage: Up to a week in the fridge. Try freezing for a cool snack.
(cut this recipe way down)
Put fresh salads on your table as often as you can. For a more filling and flavorful boost add roasted nuts, died cranberries, roasted sunflower seeds, shaved parmesan, or chick peas. Radicle Farm
Storage: 7-10 days in ambient temp. or 2 weeks in refrigeration. If you trim and water the roots, it will keep growing!
Six Salad Dressings to Know by Heart
- Herb & Allium: Ginger Bluestar Farm (OG)
- Fruit: Seckel Pears Migliorelli Farm (IPM)
- Cheese: Camembert Chaseholm Chasm Creamery
- Bread: Sun-dried Tomato Country White Loaf Cafe Le Perche
- Pasta: Spinach Penne Knoll Krest Storage: Use within a week refrigerated, or freeze for 1 month.
Any questions? Email email@example.com
Key for growing methods:
- CO - Certified Organic
- OG - Organically Grown (farm uses organic methods but does not have certification).
- IPM - Integrated Pest Management (methods used to reduce the use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers).
- FAM - Family farm (farm often uses organic and IPM methods but may also use chemical fertilizers and pesticides. As a general rule small farms use far fewer chemicals than large industrialized operations).
- Non-GMO - None of our products are GMO.