Things To Be Thankful For
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we are going to share five things about Charlotte's tech scene that we are thankful for (in no order).
- Our ten monthly meeting speakers this year: Joe Feser, Paula Paul, Jonathan “J.” Tower, Matt Duffield (two presentations), David Catherman, Eric Notheisen, Chris Patterson, Richard Taylor, Doug Jones, and Tom Cooper. They shared their time and knowledge so we could learn something new.
- Our three Premier Sponsors: Signature Consultants, TEKsystems, and Logical Advantage! Without them, we would not be able to hold free monthly meetings and events.
- Our volunteers. If you spoke in front or helped pour drinks in back, we thank you!
- The 461 attendees, 56 speakers, and 25 sponsors of the 2015 Spark Conference. We can't wait for what 2016 brings!
- Our Charlotte-area tech community of 711 members (and growing). Everything we do is to help our community.
Now, it is your turn. Share the things about Charlotte's tech scene that make you excited to be part of this community. Use the hashtag #TechThanksCLT on Twitter. Don't forget to follow us at @DevelopersGuild.
National Computer Science Education Week Needs Volunteers
National Computer Science Education week takes place Dec. 7–11. This week focuses on creating student awareness, excitement, and curiosity in IT and IT careers by connecting business and education. Teachers from 29 CMS high schools and 47 CMS middle schools are requesting volunteers. (View schools here.) Volunteers are invited to go into the classroom for only an hour. Some suggestions on how to spend your hour with the students are:
- Share your career journey.
- Talk about the many different careers available in the IT profession.
- Talk about your current projects and the IT roles engaged in the effort.
- Talk about your company and the types of work they do and how IT is an integral part of each effort.
- Lead an Hour of Code module.
To volunteer, please contact Kay Read with IT-oLogy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Kay will help arrange your school visit.
Tuesday, December 1 @ 6:00 PM
Host: Charlotte Internet of Things
Venue: SnapAV Corp Office
Join us for IoT Sensor night! Tom Bocchino will be our guest speaker from STMicroelectronics. Tom is the Product Marketing engineer responsible for Sensor products in the Eastern US & Canada. We will talk about sensor technologies that will drive the Internet of Things!
Wednesday, December 2 @ 7:00 PM
Host: Charlotte Software Engineering Meetup
Venue: Red Ventures RV3
We are kicking off a series on cloud operations that will span a few meetings. For this first meeting, we will cover the basics of what you need to get your company and/or application up and running with Amazon, in a secure and scalable fashion. It will lay the foundation for the next several meetings where we go from the fundamentals learned at this meeting, to a fully automated, self-healing infrastructure.
PMP Exam Prep Boot Camp
Saturdays & Sundays, December 5, 6, 12, 13 @ 8:00 AM
Host: Masters Trainers International
Venue: Signature Consultants
You will find out exactly what you need to know and how to prepare yourself to fulfill the requirements for each PMBOK® Guide knowledge area. This course is designed for project managers who are seeking their PMP (Project Management Professional) certification through PMI (Project Management Institute) and have satisfied the requirements to sit for the exam. Project Managers who will take the course will learn exam techniques, a review of the knowledge areas in the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge), and requirements to take the exam. This course is not intended to teach project management profession, but to only prepare for the PMP Exam administered by PMI. To register, please send an email to the instructor, Yassin Chickha, MBA, PMP at email@example.com.
Tuesday, December 8 @ 11:30 AM
Host: Logical Advantage Charlotte Tech Talks
Venue: Logical Advantage
Join Chief Solutions Architect, Marty Elvidge for our December lunch and learn as he explores the Anatomy of an Enterprise Application!
Wednesday, December 9 @ 6:00 PM
Host: Charlotte Microsoft Cloud
Venue: Charlotte Microsoft Office
Whether you are a developer, system administrator, or engineering living in a DevOps world, this session will empower you with knowledge around creation and management of applications with VMs that's fun, fast and easy!
Monday, December 14 @ 6:00 PM
Host: Charlotte Unity Game Dev
Venue: Charlotte Microsoft Office
Come out and share what projects you are working on. Have a question about area you are stuck in or need some help? This is a great opportunity to bring out what you are have and let the group help you polish it and make it ready to deploy.