A4AI Hosts Largest Multi-Stakeholder Forum to Date in Dominican Republic
As A4AI kicked off its first multi-stakeholder forum in the Dominican Republic on February 24, 2015, the focus was on addressing the unequal access to ICTs in the country. Gideon Santos, the president of the board of INDOTEL, the national regulatory agency, stressed that although close to 50 percent of the population uses Internet, broadband penetration is only at 25 percent, leaving 75 percent of the population unconnected.
"There is a gap in access by low income households, households led by women, between regions and provinces, between cities and municipal capitals, between rural and urban areas," Santos said. “Working with A4AI to reduce prices of broadband in our country is yet another step towards achieving our goal to reduce inequality in access to ICTs in the Dominican Republic.”
Over 120 participants representing several government agencies and ministries, civil society organizations, telecom operators, and Internet service providers attended and reached consensus on three priority areas that will be tackled by the A4AI-Dominican Republic Coalition:
Working groups will be established to draft and implement work plans for each respective priority area. The Coalition is scheduled to meet next in May 2015. You can access presentations and documents from the forum on our country webpage: http://a4ai.org/dominicanrepublic/ and check out photos from the event on our Flickr site.
- Taxation of the ICT sector
- Infrastructure Sharing
- The Digital Agenda (with a focus on Capacity Building, Demand Creation, & Funding of Universal Access)
- Data Collection & Research