Newsletter - June
Dear <<First Name>>
Welcome to Winter! How wonderful it was to wake up on the first day of June to the news of snow on our mountain Mt Donna Buang! We've added a dedicated Snow update page to the www.visitwarburton.com.au website and will provide regular updates via our Visit Warburton Facebook page (which also feeds onto the home page of our website).
Hello from Peta Godenzi, President Email me: email@example.com or tel 0428 971 203.
Membership - Why choose CEDA?
We are about to send out our membership renewal packs for the 2016 Financial Year. Your membership in CEDA benefits the Warburton Valley in so many ways.
This year we will also be offering a membership option to YRT members, who are able to join CEDA (in addition to YRT) for a supplementary price. We have also provided a Paypal payment option to help streamline the renewal process.
Download our new CEDA brochure here to share.
Other CEDA news - cycling calendar
Several significant upcoming cycling events are in planning/approved stage for 2016 - some now have confirmed dates:
- CEDA facilitates tourism and business/economic prosperity through the www.Visitwarburton.com.au website, associated social media campaigns including Visit Warburton – The Waterwheel on Facebook, @warburtonvalley on Twitter and more.
- CEDA provides a monthly newsletter (and other touch points), networking opportunities, marketing support to members and a sense of belonging.
- CEDA operates the Visitor Information Centre (VIC) in partnership with the Warburton and Yarra Junction Community Bank branches and the Warburton Advancement League. Only CEDA Tourism members are entitled to a presence in the VIC. The VIC has more than 30,000 visitors (and growing) walk through the door every year, 7 days a week. Between January and April this year we've already had 10,000 visitors through the door.
- The CEDA committee represents a variety of industries and business interests. Our committee is dedicated, experienced and insightful in its advocacy for the particular needs of the Warburton Valley. We also hold a position on the YRT board.
- CEDA has strong ties with peak tourism bodies such as Yarra Ranges Council, Yarra Ranges Tourism and advocates directly for the Warburton Valley, including how and where money is spent. Provides access to tourism and marketing expertise, professional stock photography/digital product and other resources.
- CEDA has proven success – for example growth in cycling tourism for the region.
- CEDA provides you more than just a website/information service. CEDA is an active and engaged presence with the interests of the whole valley as its focus.
- CEDA has a strong media contact network and dedicated communications specialist team.
These events provide significant opportunities for local businesses and we are working closely with organisers to ensure maximum impact for the Warburton Valley. We are certainly attracting some very significant and professionally run events.
The cycling hub for Warburton Valley has again been front and centre of economic discussion at a local and state government level. See the article on the front page of the Upper Yarra Mail (2/6/15) for an update. This continues to be a key focus for CEDA and several other hardworking partners.
Highlight events for the next few months include:
- Ol'Dirty (tbc) on 30 August and a '12 Peaks Challenge' event (tbc) on a Sunday in September are also in planning. Both events expect 250-300 riders.
- Warburton Grand Fondo is scheduled for 22 November 2015 and anticipates 750-1000 participants in what is set to be an annual event and part of a worldwide calendar of Gran Fondo events. YRT has generously funded this event as part of its regional marketing initiative.
- Vertical K (National event organiser Rapid Ascent) - Confirmed for November 29 - expecting 1000 competitors with a timed competition between cyclists and runners to ascend 1000 metres up Mt Donna Buang. Warburton and Yarra Junction Community Bank branches have provided funding for this inaugural event.
- The Carrum to Warburton LInk is due to be completed by end 2016 providing 100km of link trails.
- The Rail Trail nodes are due to be completed by end June. Work is progressing steadily.
- June Fri 12th to Sun 14th Warburton Film Festival 2015 - opening night film is the locally filmed critically acclaimed master price FELL (click to view trailer) with Q and A with production team and actors. See: www.warburtonfilmfestival.com.au
- June 1 WHYLD WInter Warming event at Wickhams Rd Reserve
- September 12 and 13 - Yarra Valley Open Studios
Outdoor Tourism Workshop (Thursday 28 May) - big wheels are turning
More than 20 key partners and stakeholders participated in a facilitated workshop at the Warburton Golf Club to develop key understandings and discussions about how to maximise outdoor tourism potential in the Warburton Valley region. The workshop, generously funded by Yarra Ranges Tourism and CEDA, identified the following:
- Monthly meeting - third Tuesday of the month. The next Warburton Valley CEDA meeting is Tuesday 16 June 2015 at 3pm in the boardroom at the Warburton Community bank branch on the main street. Members may attend and should RSVP to this email address. Alternatively you can submit any questions or comments in writing for the committee.
The day has also facilitated the documentation of a simple marketing/business plan to guide implementation. Outdoor tourism, in particular as it relates to our growing focus as a region on cycling and running, is off to a great, planned, and thorough start.
- Clear definition of the assets and potentials of the area
- Identification of the possibilities for cycling (both competition and casual visits)
- Formed some ideas for “layering” events, and development of the festival approach
- Established the local needs in respect to quality and availability of services, and outlined the needs required to make visitors feel welcome
- Emphasised the need to have the community involved and on side
- Defined target markets
Accesible Tourism Forum
Peta Godenzi attended this forum last Thursday 27 May to hear about the importance of people with disabilities needing to plan their journey and the value of key accessible features that assist people to plan their holiday. WIth the theme 'Good access is good business' a range of resources and a checklist for businesses were shared to help tourism and business operators respond to the growing need for accesibility in the Yarra Ranges. Almost one in five Australians has a disability and 88% of these people take a holiday each year - small changes can make a big difference to improve access. We are working to provide better info regarding accessibility on our website too.
Want to start thinking about your business and how it might improve accessibility? Here's a handy Accessibility checklist to download.
You're invited to our CEDA Networking event - 14 July (Bastille Day)
Our next networking event is now open for bookings and an invitation is extended to all members to attend. We're also inviting anyone interested in CEDA membership, members of YRT and the Dandenong Visitor Information Centre so that we can showcase our region and its CEDA community as broadly as possible. Please share this invite in your networks.
Ian Shipton, from The Professionals, is pleased to advise that works on Edgewater Resort are about to recommence in earnest. In a press release from Point Polaris the project managers for the project it is stated: 'The final licence required from DELWP is imminent and once that has been granted, it is full steam ahead for construction with the builder ready to recommence woks immediately.' Good news for the region! Read the full press release here.
We will be delighted to see you all at Warburton's newest venue 3488, but be sure to book via the link in order to RSVP. (Bookings via Eventbrite, with Paypal option for your convenience). RSVP/Bookings by 1 July 2015. please.
Edgewater Resort update
In support of our new website launch for www.visitwarburton.com.au you will notice a poster campaign through the townships and also this new signage at the start of Warburton township (at Mayer Bridge noticeboard). Big thanks to local Brad Charman from Yarra Valley Signs for his work on this.
Community events calendar - Yarra Ranges Council
In addition to www.Eventsvictoria.com it may be useful for members to list their events and activities on the Community Upcoming Events Calendar, an online calendar that is located on the council website. List your event here.
Warburton Information Map - FYI
Norm Orr is in the process of visiting with current advertisers, developing updates and seeking new advertisers for the reprint of our very popular Warburton Information Map. Email CEDA for more information.
Go Italian in June at Oscar's!
What can I do? Three things this month...
- List your event or business activity on www.eventsvictoria.com.au and the Community Events calendar
- Like the VISIT WARBURTON - The Waterwheel Facebook page
- Download our new CEDA brochure here to share. New members are very welcome.
Our purpose statement:
'To promote sustainable economic development that enriches the lives of those who live in or have a close connection to the Warburton Valley and rely on its prosperity.'
Your CEDA committee
Peta Godenzi (President), Michael Hibbert (Vice President and CEDA rep at YRT), Geoff Vickers (Secretary/Treasurer) and members Jeff Gill, Norm Orr, Ian Shipton, Phil Wallens, Mike Iley, Dale Feim, Sue White, Kevin Vivian and Lincoln Wilson.