Monthly newsletter - December
Dear <<First Name>>
Welcome to our November newsletter. SHOP LOCAL this Christmas. As the holiday and gift season approaches, it’s timely to think about how where we shop affects the prosperity of our community. Here’s a challenge – can you do all your Christmas shopping locally this year? Could you go an entire week buying essentials within 20 kilometres of your home?
Hello from Peta Godenzi, President
What are the benefits of shopping locally?
Communities can be sustainable when everyone shops local. Hope to see you on your main street!
- Every $1 spent is worth more than ten times that to the local community
- 50-70% of every dollar spent locally recirculates in the local economy
- Local businesses employ local people
- It’s easier to know where things come from and how they are made
- Fresh items will be fresher and travel fewer kilometres to get to you
- Buying local supports the character and uniqueness of our towns, their producers, artists, innovators and small business owners
- You’ll know the people you are dealing with, and that’s a good thing because they are very likely to have an interest in your community because it’s theirs too!
Inspired by www.liveshoplocal.co.uk
We are pleased to announce two new Committee Members :
Highlight events for the next three months include:
- Lincoln Wilson -Wilson Marketing
- Kevin Vivian - Upper Yarra Community House
Remember, we welcome your contributions and suggestions for upcoming issues of this newsletter so let us know if you would like to be featured, have information circulated or you have a particular need or request that our extended community can support you with. We would especially like to hear from members and businesses between Launching Place and Wandin!
All the very best wishes from all of us at CEDA to all of our members and associates. CEDA is a year old and we are very proud to have made it a year of solid foundations, smooth transitions and great success. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
All the best, Peta
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel 0428 971 203.
- HANDMADE Market night at the Waterwheel - Friday 5 December from 5pm (flyer below)
- Everesting - Saturday 7 February - Major cycling event anticipating more than 500 entrants
- Community Bank Warburton Up and Running - Sunday 22 February - major running event for 1000 participants
Waterwheel (VIC) - On deck!
Great news - our application to lease the deck outside the Waterwheel centre has been approved. This means we can use the deck for special events and opportunities, including the establishment of an outdoor relaxation zone. The first special event will be Handmade's night market (5/12). We expect up to 20 stallholders that evening in addition to the merchandise and festivities within the shop.
Anni Finch has had a proposal accepted to provide visual merchandising services to the wine sales area in the Waterwheel. Don't forget you can buy a fine selection of quality local wines at the Waterwheel now. Great local gift buying!
- Monthly meeting - third Tuesday of the month. The next Warburton Valley CEDA meeting is Tuesday 16 December 2014 at 3pm in the boardroom at the Upper Yarra Community House in the main street of YARRA JUNCTION. Members may attend and should RSVP to this email address. Alternatively you can submit any questions or comments in writing for the committee.
- The annual Warburton Christmas Street Party will be held on Friday 19 December on the main street of Warburton. Please note the date.
- Warburton Christmas Carols will be held on either the Saturday 20 or Sunday 21 of December. A decision on which day will be made in the week prior so that the best weather conditions can be taken advantage of. This carol event is the largest FREE not-for-profit outdoor event in the Yarra Valley attracting around 3500 people!
- Power outage update - the scheduled outage for the evening of Thursday 4 December is still relevant; however, an advice has also been issued that if for some reason the work is unable to be completed (weather permitting etc) the outage will be rescheduled for the following Thursday 11 December again from 11.30 pm that night until approximately 4 am on Friday morning.
Get to know a new service: Cabstop
Cabstop is an instant cab booking service from 13CABS. It enables you to book a cab with an SMS at a specific location, and also to create unique SMS code for your favourite pick up point or business. Cabstop signs are being rolled out across the Yarra Ranges and will be installed along the Warburton Highway in Wandin and Seville. You can learn more here (youtube video) or watch the advert here.
Significant events calendar - Are you ready?
Valleywide, we can be better at making sure we are all prepared for busy weekends and the upside in trade these can generate. We need to communicate more effectively about what's coming up, especially those events that are new or have a national focus to them. Not every trader in our towns is a member of CEDA so spreading the word becomes a task that all of us can share. We will also be building an email data base so we can communicate with all traders efficiently.
CEDA, from now on, will provide a three month rolling calendar of events in the monthly newsletter and will upload a dynamic yearly planner to our website for your reference. http://upperyarra.net.au/ceda/calendar-of-events/
You are welcome to email us with any events you would like added to this calendar.
And don't forget to upload your events onto Events Victoria website http://www.eventsvictoria.com for even broader exposure.
'Cooling Off' promotion with Yarra ranges tourism
It's summer time and many families are eager to find out about great activities that they can participate in. YRT is asking for information about such activities so that they can promote great 'cooling off' activities that are kid and family friendly through their Social media and marketing campaigns, and through information blasts to schools and accommodation operators. If you would like your event listed you'll need to act quickly. Click here for the form you need to fill out. Deadline is now.
Edgewater turns the sod
The much anticipated commencement of major works at the Edgewater Resort has begun! Last Monday a 'turning the sod' ceremony was held with state and local members of parliament and the community in attendance. Excavations have commenced digging the basement for the west wing. Move than 400 jobs are anticipated in the construction phase of this development and more than 200 jobs ongoing when Edgewater Resort is operational.
Do you have the "Best dressed window in town"?
An invitation to participate for Warburton and Yarra Junction traders. The winner will be announced in a dedicated quarter page advertisement in the Upper Yarra mail on December 16. A great way to get additional exposure in the important lead up to Christmas.
Download the December/January 'What's On' poster here
Print for display or handout to visitors and clients.
More info: Ph Paul 0409 004 770 or email@example.com
What can I do? Three by three things this month
- Give some thought to how you can benefit most from upcoming events such as Everesting and Up and Running and start planning now.
- Submit your events to the 'Cooling Off' promotion.
- Have a successful trading period and show the world how wonderful our valley is.
We have a dedicated page on the Upper Yarra Community Enterprise website http://upperyarra.net.au/ceda/ or click here.
'To promote sustainable economic development that enriches the lives of those who live in or have a close connection to the Warburton Valley and rely on its prosperity.'
Your CEDA committee
Our purpose statement:
Peta Godenzi (President), Michael Hibbert (Vice President and CEDA rep at YRT), Geoff Vickers (Secretary/Treasurer) and members Jeff Gill, Norm Orr, Ian Shipton, Phil Wallens, Mike Iley, Dale Feim, Sue White, Kevin Vivian and Lincoln Wilson.