Update on Child Care Vaccinations
The plan for the next phase of vaccines is being decided now, and so far child cares are in the next phase to be vaccinated (phase 1 of tier 1b). We've worked so hard to ensure we're prioritized, and your voice has been critical in this effort.
However, many industry groups like Uber are still trying to be classified as essential, which could delay the rollout to child cares. The committee recommending vaccine priorities will send their recommendation to Governor Newsom shortly.
Help needed right now
We need to ensure Governor Newsom keeps the child care workforce in phase 1 of tier 1b, and are not pushed down the list.
either sign and share the petition
, or send a letter via fax (916-558-3160) or mail to Governor Newsom’s office:
Governor Gavin Newsom
1303 10th Street, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
Here’s some text you can use:
Protect Early Childcare Workforce - Prioritize Them for COVID-19 Vaccine
Dear Governor Newsom,
We urge you to consider prioritizing the early childcare workforce in the allocation of the COVID-19 vaccinations among essential workers. We understand the Community Vaccine Advisory Committee is deciding now on the allocations of vaccinations among essential workers in group 1B, and we are asking you to prioritize the early childhood workforce.
The childcare workforce meets all of CVAC’s criteria for sub-prioritization of workers within sectors:
- We are at risk of severe disease or death because the majority of our workforce are women of color, the population most impacted by Covid-19.
- Our high-risk work is an economic necessity. Childcare is essential for healthcare personnel and families to go to work.
- We work in disadvantaged communities disproportionately affected by the pandemic.
- We have a high likelihood of spreading disease to workers and the public due to the nature of child care.
- We are unable to work at home
Thank you for all you do to protect the health and wellbeing of our communities.