Our bid for Bridport Music was rejected, but it's not the end...
Dear fellow members of the Save Bridport Music group,
Thank you for your interest in this project and for your patience in awaiting an update from the Core Group.
Following a number of meetings, backed up with an examination of the records of Bridport Music and a financial analysis of the potential future business, we were able to put forward an offer to the owners on 29 August 2019. Whilst this offer fell short of their expectations, we felt that it was more than fair taking account of the state of the business its assets and trading record. On 30 August 2019 the owners responded by rejecting the offer, primarily on financial grounds, but also raising a number of other points regarding this group’s suitability to run the business in the future. In view of this we sought a meeting to discuss whether there was any prospect of finding common ground, but in the meantime matters had progressed to the extent that it is now not possible to stop the existing shop closing towards the end of October.
This doesn’t mean that this project is at an end - the objectives we set out are still valid. We’re now looking for ways to set up a new Music Shop, potentially operating from different premises, to carry on some of the activities of the previous Bridport Music shop. The advantage we have now is being able to start from a ‘clean slate’, enabling us to focus on ensuring the provision of the community benefits we initially sought.
To this end the group are planning another public meeting. Anyone who would like to attend this meeting is invited to complete this short survey: http://bit.ly/BridportMusic
We regret that this process did not reach the desired outcome, but have to now accept that it would not have been possible to reach a mutually acceptable agreement with Piers and Steph. We wish them well with the remaining trading period and in the future.
Yours Josef Davies-Coates,
Save Bridport Music campaign co-ordinator, on behalf of the Core Group.