Fresh Thoughts: We’re Listening, Sharing and Taking Action
Check out this week’s “Fresh Thoughts” from NABC President Kasey Cronquist.
Food and Farm Aid: Bill Approved to Funnel $1.2 Billion to Low-Income Americans in Nutrition Assistance
On Wednesday, the Senate passed a multi-billion dollar emergency package that provides more than $1.2 billion in nutrition assistance to Americans to purchase or receive approved foods, including blueberries. The package includes $500 million for pregnant women, infants and children under the WIC program; $250 million to support home delivered and prepackaged meals to millions of seniors; and $400 million for USDA to buy commodities and distribute to food banks. Another stimulus package is expected – with total aid estimated to pass $1 trillion.
Food Safety and Supply: FDA Food Safety Briefing Highlights
The FDA held a food safety and supply briefing this week regarding current activities, responding to stakeholders’ concerns and highlighting important FDA resources in response to the outbreak.
Here are some highlights from that briefing courtesy of our crisis communications team at FleishmanHillard:
Also,the FDA has a new set of FAQs posted at fda.gov/food.
- There are no food shortages and the food supply remains safe.
- There is no evidence of food and packaging being associated with transmission of COVID-19.
- The FDA will provide max flexibility to ensure a safe, accessible food supply.
- Domestic inspections will focus resources on “mission critical” inspections. Foreign inspections are postponed at this time.
- There are multiple coordinated efforts to protect safety of workers and public health underway.
- Food-borne exposure is not known to be a route of transmission.
Consumer Marketing: Consumer Changes in 7 Days
Everyone has felt (and likely seen) the lifestyle and consumer changes during this rollercoaster of a week. SRG, NABC’s foodservice agency, created a COVID-19 consumer attitude tracker
that identifies changes in consumer behavior over the last seven days as the coronavirus response unfolded. What a difference a week makes.
COVID-19 Coverage Roundup
Here’s today’s roundup from our crisis communication agency,
Food & Agriculture COVID-19 Monitoring