From People for Bikes
The U.S. Forest Service is proposing new policies that would update how electric bicycles should be managed on National Forest System lands.
If adopted, these changes to the Forest Service directives would mean that:
- Electric bicycles are defined within the three class system.
- Electric bicycles are still managed as motor vehicles.
- Land managers have the authority to designate electric bicycle use on trails where bicycles are allowed, but those trails would be redesignated as motorized, and only open to bicycles and all or some classes of electric bicycles.
- Land managers are encouraged to consider whether the effects of electric bicycle use are comparable to those of traditional bicycle use.
- Future travel management decisions should consider emerging technologies like electric bicycles.
**People for Bikes is also requesting one modification to the proposed changes -- that electric bicycles be removed from the definition of “motor vehicle” and considered to be a non-motorized use.