|WITS Student Career Series
Get ready for our weekly Student Career Series starting tomorrow, 5 October @ 7 pm, with the Technology panel. Panellists will be discussing their personal experiences in their roles and how they found their first job after college. Click on the panel to book your place.
Thanks to all our panellists and the student events team. We hope you enjoy the series.
Welcome to WITSWORDS October 2021
Welcome to all our student members, both those who have renewed your membership and new student members. We're delighted to be with you on your STEM journey.
This month we are running the Student Career Series to share experiences of moving from STEM education to the workplace. Do join us. We're also starting monthly meet ups for students to find out about WITS, meet other student members and hear from special guest. We hope you enjoy them. Other meetings this month include a virtual coffee morning on 7 October and WITS Reads meets on 12 October.
Parallel to our meetings, WITS is working to raise the profile of women in STEM and develop and enhance diversity in the workplace through speaking at meetings and informing policy. Thanks to our WITS Chair, Officers and Executive and all the volunteer members who run WITS. Their effort and committent is what makes WITS.
Thanks for reading WITSWORDS. If you have events, initiatives or just something you think may be of interest to WITS members please email WITS before 1 November 2021.
Thank you for members' news. Send anything you'd like to share with WITS members to email@example.com and we'll feature it here.
Corporate member news
ESB Energy for Generations Fund sponsored STEM kits for the Irish Girl Guides
Congratulation to the ESB Energy for Generations Fund who sponsored STEM kits for 2021 Octagon the Irish Girl Guides 14th International Camp. The camp took place virtually this year, with a focus on STEAM education for girls. Well done to all who took part.
Famelab Ireland winner is Tammy Strickland RCSI.
Congratulations to WIT Executive member Tammy Strickland on winning the Irish final of Famelab the science communication competition with her Agatha Christie themed talk. She'll represent Ireland at the Famelab International finals in November. We'll be rooting for you Tammy.
Vicky Twomey-Lee Fellow of the European Python Society
Congratulations to Vicky on being elected one of the initial fellows of the European Python Society. It's good to see your sterling work recognised.
Dr Joanne Kenney now at DCU
Congratulations to Dr Joanne Kenny on her new post in the DCU Psychology department. She's teaching on her favourite topics, psychological health, difficulties & disorders and biopsychology. From Joanne Kenney via Twitter.
Medical Physics Summer Internship in London
Madeline Tveite, a 3rd Year TCD physics student did a summer internship in medical physics at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Chelsea. Read about it here. WITS supported Madeline with a grant. WITS is happy to sponsor students in their STEM journey as well as groups who need funding for events promoting equality and opportunity in STEM. For more details or to apply for sponsorship, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Science and Tech News
Graduate and Student opportunities
- Huawei to award 50 STEM students €5000 with its 2021 Seeds for the Future scholarships. Students send your CV, and an essay of 400 to 600 words or a two to three-minute video reflecting your interests and why you should be chosen to take part, to email@example.com. Closing date for submissions is Thursday, 14 October 2021.
- The 1916 Bursary Fund supports students starting Maynooth University with socio-economic disadvantage. Applications are now open here and the closing date is 15 October 2021.
- Google Students Virtual Series is now running. More information here and register here.
- Mary Mulvihill Award 2022 has announced the theme is water. This science media competition for third level students has a €2000 prize. Submission are due by 29 April 2022.
- The Institute of Physics has published a Resilience and Wellbeing guide for undergraduate physics students. Have a look here and read the guide here. Congratulations on this practical guide. It's a great resource for all students. Should we do a similar list for Ireland?
- Do check the WITS website for more student opportunities.
Northern Ireland opportunities (women sought for boards)
- Chair to the Governing Body of Stranmillis University College, Belfast. is a Public Appointment Vacancy in Northern Ireland. Applications close 7 October 2021. Information and application form here.
- The Department for Infrastructure (DfI), Department for the Economy (DfE) and the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) is holding an open competition to recruit 4 Non-Executive Members to their Boards. Information and application forms are here.
Women Scientists and Pioneers
- Passion & Plight: The Women Who Shaped Ireland' by Nicola Depuis, is now available here. It s includes biographies of 51 inspirational Irish women, including Dr. James Barry, Eileen Desmond, Hanna Sheehy Skeffington, and Edith Wilkins.
Thank you for reading WITSWORDS. Check back for November 2021 WITSWORDS and in the meantime, please send us any news.