NO WAY METRO!
Campaign Against Metro Station Cutbacks
23 April 2021
On Wednesday 14 April Metro management launched a series of attacks on both PSLs and SMs across the network.
Under the guise of a “Restructure” PSLs and SMs were advised via teleconference that their position would no longer exist or they were required to move to unspecified locations, basically at the whim of management.
For many members it was an emotional roller coaster as basic questions, such as why the “Restructure” was taking place and how the decisions were made, could not be answered by management.
On Thursday 22 April Metro management came back for a second bite. This time it included Relieving Station Masters who were not initially impacted. This latest announcement changes the scope and number of Members impacted also reducing the options available for those affected. So much for Metro’s “Consultation”.
In a series of ongoing slips, trips and falls, management have stated that SMs are “not operational” (which must have come as a shock to the SMs), that there would be no roster changes, and then sent out an “R U Ok ?” newsletter shortly after the announcement of the cutbacks.
To top it off, last night management sent out a tone deaf circular a to station staff stating “shared commitment to Metro’s values is stronger and more important than ever.” Really?
No wonder members are angry!
Metro breaches EBA
The EBA requires Metro to work with the RTBU to undertake a review of rules, responsibilities and classification structure for station grades. Instead, in breach of the EBA, Metro have done this review without the RTBU.
The RTBU has issued a Notice of Dispute under the EBA. The EBA says that if a Dispute is on foot, Metro must maintain the “Status Quo”. This means Metro has to stop the restructure process. In breach of the EBA, Metro is refusing to stop.
A breach of the EBA is a contravention of the Fair Work Act. Metro is breaking the law.
An action at North Melbourne station has been called for 8:00am on Wednesday 28 April (see flyer below). We are calling on ALL off duty staff to attend to make our voice heard!
- The RTBU notified Metro of a dispute in relation to the provisions contained in the EA on Friday 16 April.
- RTBU meetings have been held with affected PSLs and SMs across the network after the announcements were made.
- Weekly RTBU station campaign committee meetings have commenced and will continue to be held.
- Our legal team is working through legal complexities of this proposed restructure.
- Solidarity meetings of RTBU members in other Metro Operational areas to show support for affected members are currently being held
What should I do Now?
- Stand together, stand strong, and support one another. Help build the campaign against management’s cutbacks.
- Don’t fall into the trap of managements spurious expressions of interest (EOI) and selection process, talk to your RTBU Delegate or Official.
- The EBA says that Status Quo should be maintained until the dispute is resolved. We advise members not to engage in the EOI process.
- Support the RTBU dispute and maintain Status Quo.
- Do not meet management on your own - speak to your RTBU Organiser.
- Attend the Union meetings in your area.
- Let us know of any concerns you may have or any ideas on how to oppose the cutbacks.
- Work with your local delegates and fellow RTBU members in your area to compile a list of questions/concerns regarding this proposed restructure. The questions/concerns should focus on how these changes will impact the day to day operations, customer service quality and explain why the proposed changes cannot work.
- Forward details to the union on how the cutbacks will impact you, your workmates and the day to day operations at your station and we will submit them on your behalf.
For more information about the campaign and to get involved contact your delegate or speak your union official.
- 11:00am Monday 26 April – Box Hill station
- 1:00pm Tuesday 27 April – Melbourne Central
- 8:00am Wednesday 28 April – North Melbourne Station Action
- 12:00pm Wednesday 28 April – Station Campaign Committee
- 11:00am Thursday 29 April – Caulfield Station
0400 092 807
0413 363 923