We are very pleased to share our three concept designs for the proposed Public Good Area of the Resource Recovery Centre on Colson Road.
THE DESIGN BRIEF:
- Be a major part of the solution to divert 75-79% of materials from landfill.
- Engage the community, businesses, and industry to re-think & change how we use materials.
- Demonstrate best practice sustainability.
- Create jobs & businesses.
- Stimulate the local economy.
- Become a focal & connecting point for the community.
- Enable all members of the community (including those on low incomes) to access resources.
We explored three quite different configurations in the concept designs, but they all share the intention to make resource re-use and re-distribution "attractive and normal".
More than 80% of visitors to this facility will be shoppers rather than dropper-offers, so this shifts the design emphasis to enhancing the shopping experience - rather than an upgraded transfer station that is good at encouraging recycling.
Construction of the site will model zero-waste practices & will heavily utilise pre-used materials - a no brainer really!
After getting feedback from operators & designers of these sorts of sites, we are now starting to work on the final concept... so watch this space.
For larger images plus the evocative "image boards" see here